When a client comes to see me to discuss divorce, it is not unusual for
me to hear I think my spouse is hiding assets. I have no idea what assets
we have, or where they are. What do I do?”
I advise couples getting married to pay attention to the family finances.
Both parties should know about the existing assets, taxes, real estate,
etc. I encourage them not to be passive.
You may be married to someone who is abusive, controlling and paranoid.
I always advise both parties take an active role and be an equal partner
in all aspects of their marriage. It is your right as an equal partner
to participate in making financial decisions, paying the bills, and maintaining
financial records. Abusive relationships do not meet this test. It also
puts you in a much better position if your marriage should unfortunately
end in divorce.
If you are considering divorce, it is important to prepare yourself and
it is in your best interest to know as much as possible about your finances.
When it comes to divorce, no one likes an asset-hiding spouse. Especially
Here Are My 7 Signs Assets are Being Hidden:
- Your spouse is secretive about money;
- Your spouse demands and maintains control over money;
- Financial statements that once came to the home disappear or are sent to
- New financial accounts have been opened without explanation;
- Your spouse has opened a PO box;
- There have been some new “flashy” purchases (cars, watches, boats);
- You are asked to blindly sign documents without reading them first.
What Types of Assets Can Be Hidden?
- Money (cash);
- Real estate;
- Cars, boats, antiques (housed by family and friends).
How Can Assets Be Hidden?
- Make gifts to family and friends (with the understanding it will be returned);
- Multiple Internet banking accounts-no statements mailed to the home;
- Use a PO Box as mailing address;
- Safety deposit box at bank;
- Create corporations or business partnerships;
- Asking employers to delay bonuses;
- Foreign accounts;
- Overpaying the IRS;
- Coin, art, gun, jewelry, memorabilia collections.
How Can You Track Down “Hidden Assets”?
Hire a divorce attorney/mediator, private investigator and/or a forensic
accountant, like me and my team of experts. We will be able to do a “lifestyle
analysis,” looking at many factors to determine if income is accurate
by reviewing tax returns, W-2’s, investigating deferred salary and
stock option, commissions and bonuses.
We will also scrutinize financial accounts, both here and abroad, payments
to the IRS, and investments in real estate.
In addition, we can do extensive asset searches using computer forensics,
obtain and review credit reports, and review irregular ATM activity.
With over 35 years of experience as a divorce attorney and as a psychologically-trained
mediator,I can tell you if you think your spouse is hiding assets, it’s
If you are concerned and fear your spouse is hiding money, and divorce
may be where you are headed, call me. I can guide you on what to look
for, how to investigate, and most importantly how to get financially prepared.
It is wise to know where all the assets are so you can get the best financial
outcome in your divorce.
Let us help you. My team of forensic experts is among of the very best!
FREE 1 HOUR CONSULTATIONS are very
informative and conveniently conducted virtually to reduce risk!
Call me today to take advantage of a FREE consultation.
I look forward to speaking with you.
Continue to Stay Healthy & Safe!
Call Attorney Lois Brenner Now to schedule your FREE consultation!