As a divorce attorney and mediator for over 35 years, I have guided many
spouses through the divorce process. New York law allows couples to obtain
an uncontested divorce when both parties agree to the divorce as well
as agreeing to spousal support, division of property, child support, visitation
An uncontested divorce saves couples time and money! An uncontested divorce
coupled with my unique mediation process is a compassionate and amicable
approach to divorce that saves couples and their families time, money, and pain.
So who is eligible for an uncontested divorce in New York?
1. Couple who is in agreement with the divorce;
2. Were married in New York and at least one spouse has resided in New
York for at least one year prior to filing for divorce;
3. The couple lived in New York, as a married couple for any period of
time, and at least one of them was a resident of New York for one year
4. The grounds for divorce occurred in New York and one was a resident
for at least one year before filing;
5. The grounds for divorce occurred in New York and both spouses are New
York residents at the time of filing;
6. One of the spouses has maintained continuous residency in New York
prior to filing for divorce.
Traditional divorces can take many years to resolve. They can cost many
thousands of dollars and can cause spouses and their families unnecessary
discomfort and pain. An uncontested divorce can be handled in months,
cost less and cause less damage to the family financially and emotionally.
My unique mediation process is a very effective tool with an uncontested
divorce. I work with couples to discuss and negotiate decisions important
to their family whether it be spousal support, division of property, child
support, visitation, and parenting plans.
Mediation and uncontested divorce are right for you if:
1. You are on reasonably good terms with your spouse;
2. You want to save time, money, and pain;
3. You agree on division of property - acknowledging what is separate
and what is marital;
4. You agree on child support, custody, and visitation.
I’d like to point out that my mediation approach works for couples
who may not quite agree on everything but are open to listening to each
other and hearing what is possible through discussion, negotiation, and
mutually beneficial compromise.
Mediation gives couples the chance to resolve issues in a safe, secure
environment with the help of a knowledgeable, caring third party.
I encourage mediation when possible because I know the incredible results.
Families get the chance to transition to divorce in a more positive and
financially beneficial way.
As a divorce lawyer, psychologically trained mediator with a medical degree,
and as a mom, I can help you while you are divorcing to put your family first.
Here is what is important to most spouses in any divorce process:
1. to be heard
2. to be informed;
3. to be understood;
4. to be emotionally supported;
5. to have things done in a timely manner;
6. to get a fair settlement;
7. to avoid court;
8. to not have to spend their life savings on lawyers.
If you trust me with your divorce, I will do all the above and more, to
help you and your family find peace and a fair settlement in your divorce process.
Having a highly skilled and effective attorney/mediator to help facilitate
a healthy, informative, conversation about divorce can be an effective
first step. Let’s take it together.
FREE 1 HOUR CONSULTATIONS are
very informative and
conveniently conducted virtually to reduce risk.
Call me to learn what is possible in getting your uncontested divorce.
I look forward to speaking with you.
Stay healthy and safe!
Call New York Divorce Lawyer Lois Brenner now to book your free consultation.