That was the phone message I received over the 4th of July weekend! It’s a request I hear very often. But divorcing
a narcissist takes strength and skill! Are you ready?
There are various healthy traits of narcissism in all of us. But then there
is the actual diagnosis of narcissistic personality disorder.
As a psychologically-trained divorce attorney and mediator, I am uniquely
skilled at identifying a narcissistic spouse in a marriage and guiding
an individual carefully to terminate their marriage.
No one sets out to marry a narcissist. Their behavior kind of charms you
and sneaks up on you. Don’t feel embarrassed or ashamed if you find
yourself the victim of a narcissist; you are not alone! Once you are enveloped
in their world, it’s often difficult to get out.
You may ask yourself, “How did I get here?”
The answer is you were seduced by their charisma and cunning tactics. Don’t
be too hard on yourself. The best and the brightest can be deceived by
this personality disorder.
From my psychological training I want to share with you some of the telltale
signs of Narcisisstic behavior:
- Believes they are “special”— can only be understood by
an intellectual few or should associate with only the elite
- Has a grandiose sense of self
- Demands excessive attention
- Has a strong sense of entitlement
- Lacks empathy
- Is arrogant
- Spends a lot of time on appearance
- Is extremely likable when you first meet
- Is his/she is his/her favorite subject
- Name drops
- Is a drama king/queen
- Hypersensitive to criticism
- Takes no responsibility for anything
- Is a control freak
That was exhausting!! Narcissists usually are!
If you are married to someone with several of these traits, it’s
time to consider moving on…
Life with a narcissist is usually abusive and definitely emotionally draining.
My suggestions for divorcing a narcissist:
- Don’t let them know you want a divorce till you are properly prepared;
- You need a seasoned divorce attorney with a psychological/medical background
- Document everything where they won’t see it—emails, texts,
- Start working with a therapist to gain strength to tackle your narcissistic spouse.
Leaving a marriage to a narcissist will not be easy. You must have a team
of professionals around you to guide and support you.
It is really important to protect yourself emotionally and the emotional
health of your children as well.
Taking the right steps, with the skilled guidance of a professional, is
imperative to safely remove yourself from this type of abusive relationship
A narcissist is a toxic, high maintenance personality.
If I can help you navigate a path out of this type of marriage, let me know.
I am familiar with the traits of a narcissist and uniquely trained as both
a medical professional and divorce attorney to help you successfully and
safely divorce the narcissist in your life.
FREE 1 HOUR CONSULTATIONS are
still conveniently conducted virtually.
Call New York Divorce Lawyer Lois Brenner to divorce your narcissistic
A free consultation is available to you by calling 212.734.1551.